Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Mormons Did Something Right!

Often in Midwest America Mormons are a scarce bunch, or at least where I am from, as well as everywhere I have been in the Midwest (all big and some small cities). I think it has to do with the high amount of the Midwest being of some sort of Protestant Religion. Typically the reaction to the Mormons belief structure and rituals from a Protestant follower perspective, or one that grew up in such a household, seems preposterous, and this can be from various reasons, or just one, but it is usually never even close to good...

I think that few Midwestern Americans will, or can, fully disagree with the first paragraph, if you do, keep reading because you still may be surprised, just as much as I was, to find out my main point that is buried in this post. 

I mentioned above "or one that grew up is such a household", let me bring some clarification to what exactly I meant when I wrote that. I mean someone who grew up and had very religious parents who of course brought their children up through those means. This upbringing no matter what religion (Taoism to Wicca, and everything in between) makes you think a certain way for as long as the influence is in your life. Even after the influence has left that mind-state typically stays in one way or another until you die. Unless you strive to change it!

By now you are thinking wasn't he just talking about Mormons? <author laughs> Yes...Yes I was. The Mormons are looked upon as heretics by many in the Midwest but they have done something that no Protestant Sect ever has, having, and keeping, the highest overall amount between religions, educated and successful people. “Keeping” meaning their followers got their Secondary Education, MBA, or Doctorate educations while being a Mormon and stayed a Mormon until later life or even death. The ranking of all other religions do not even compare to any other religions. I read that in “Mormonism for Dummies” back in 2007. I found that interesting then and I still do. My perspective was one of most Midwestern Americans, now the beginning of this post is making some sense huh…? I also fall under the category of striving to break that mind-set entirely. I still think that is surprising as well, how they kept very educated and very successful people within their religion when other religions, not just Protestant Sects either, any religion.

That is another interesting fact the more education you, success does not even have to follow, you tend to shed some, if not all of what you were grown up to be by your parents. I mean this from a strictly religions perspective. So maybe the title of this post should be the “Mormonism Did Something No Religion Ever Has”.

The bigger question now is why. That would be an entirely different topic and would have too many hypothetical variables to play with and…well…I just don’t care enough to go through that, plus someone I am sure already has. I know I will never be a Mormon, I respect their faith like any other but that is not my destiny. I am going to spend a lot of time looking inward to find truth. I have other issues with it too, but those are my opinions do not ever affect respect.

Digressing a bit, I wonder why no other Religion has came close to achieving what the Mormons have with keeping the very educated in their pews from the cradle to the grave following their faith. Why do you think they have accomplished this? I personally do not know the answer, but would love to hear some, even the extremely hypothetical. Then maybe we could spread the word. Who knows right, or cares? It is an interesting statistic though…you have to admit to that!  

Another interesting fact about the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS) (The Mormon Church) spends more money and time, than any other religious organization, helping the needy in this country as well as others. I applaud them for that and wish all religious organizations did that.

End thought: Keep you mind open, it will give you room to move around.

Side Note: type Mormon into Google and then go to images. WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment